Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Disney Princess Challenge #10: Aurora

   I knew I would be busy between school and the street fair (it’s two weeks away!), but I might have underestimated how busy… And it didn’t help that I had no great ideas for this design and had to redo it several times. Not having 3 out of 5 classes being art classes really makes a difference on my workload! I have so much more reading to do, it’s crazy.

   Anyway, back to the nails! I didn’t expect Aurora to be this difficult. I originally thought to have briar roses and an accent of her magicked blue/pink dress. But it kind of looked awful. The dress looked really goofy. So I scratched that and tried it again, only this time with one briar nail instead of all but one. It still looked awful.  So I tried yet again and came up with this:

   I ended up with briar roses on two fingers and a middle accent of her tiara. For the briar roses I used one of my favorite base colors – Revlon Colorstay Pale Cashmere. Then I used Revlon Colorstay Red Carpet to make the roses, and I used Finger Paints Paint Me Happy for the highlights. To make the thorns I used my black Stripe Rite striper. I started with just the branch and then I made the thorns.

   For Aurora’s tiara, I started with a base of Revlon Colorstay Buttercup. I thought it was reminiscent of her hair. For the actual tiara I used Maybelline Color Show Bold Gold. Details were not great with this one, so it’s pretty plain.

   I will make it into an Etsy set, I’m just not sure how yet. I’m thinking just briar rose accents on the thumbs and middle fingers. Nothing else really looked great. I’ll post a link to it in my next post, probably, and I’ll update this post too.

   Cinderella is next! She’s on my fingers now actually. I hope to blog about them later this week so that I don’t get too far behind. Hopefully I can get to where I can have at least one post per week.

    I hope you have a fantastic week!

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Disney Princess Challenge #9: Ariel

   Once again, it's been a while. But at least I warned you guys this time! My friend and I are moved in to our new apartment and are organized and settled. We're even almost done decorating! At some point I'll have to show you guys some pictures.

   On to the nails! Last week I painted Ariel from The Little Mermaid. I wasn't sure at first how it would turn out, but I ended up really liking the end result. Moving really took a toll on them though and they ended up coming off way to soon for me.

   I ended up going for the simple route, and just painted her tail and her seashell bra. For the tail scales, I used a base of Revlon Brilliant Strength Entice. To make the scale outlines, I added some white to Entice and thinned it out a bit.

   For Ariel's shell bra, I painted the tips of my middle finger with Nina Ultra-Pro Lilac-ing Discipline. Then I made some "shadowing" lines with Covergirl Outlast Vio-last. Then I sealed each nail with a top coat!

   As usual, this is available in my Etsy shop! You can check it out here.

   Next is Sleeping Beauty! I wasn't particularly pleased with how her design came out, so it will probably be coming off soon, if time allows.

   I hope you guys have a fantastic week!

Friday, August 1, 2014

Disney Princess Challenge #9: Belle

   This week's Princess is my favorite! Beauty and the Beast has been one of my favorite fairy tales for as long as I can remember. I'm sure part of it when I was younger was just a little influenced by the giant library the Beast gave Belle. Just a smidge. I just like the story, mostly.
   I didn't quite know what I wanted to paint for Belle's design, despite having it 'all planned out'. I knew I wanted to have some of the stained glass, but other than that, nothing else was really jumping out at me. I ended up just painting the stained glass nail and running around with the other nails solid yellow for a day before it hit me. Simpler was better, but just yellow was too simple. I added a couple roses and it was perfect!

   I absolutely love this design! I'm sure it helps that I really like Beauty and the Beast and flowers... My yellow base was Revlon Colorstay Buttercup. (Have I ever mentioned that I really like that brand?) For the roses I used Finger Paints Paint Me Happy and Plum Perspective as my bases, and added various amounts of white to get all the different shades. For the leaves I used L'Oreal New Money as the base and Revlon Parfumerie Balsam Fir for the darker flecks.

   The stained glass ended up being easier than I expected. Not that it wasn't difficult (because it sure was!), but just not as difficult. I started with a base of Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure Barracuda and outlined my nail in Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure Butterscotch. To make the rose, I started with Finger Paints Paint Me Happy for the petals and L'Oreal New Money for the leaves and stem. Next, I made the black stained glass lines with my Stripe Rite Striper. (I found that it was easier to fill in the lighter pink and darker green after making the stained glass lines.) Then I sealed it all with a top coat!

   This is available in my Etsy store, you can find it here.

   Up next is Ariel! I'm not 100% sure what I want to paint for her yet either, so it'll be a surprise to you and me!

   I hope you all have a wonderful week!